Below is my talk from the Ancestral Health Symposium. It’s called “Wild Animals, Zoos, and You: The Influence of Habitat on Health”. I talk about what we can learn about human health from animals in zoos, including some of these fun topics:
- the origins of jumbo jets, jumbo shrimp, and Dumbo
- a brief history of zoos
- the most dangerous animal in zoos
- the most famous (and worst) piece of modern architecture in zoos
- biological organisms as information processors
- the “Un-Zoo”
- cheetah sex
- why gorillas should be vegans
- gorge and fast feeding in captive lions
- why gerbils dig
- a neutral approach to health (the Veil of Ignorance)
- how do you make anything healthy?
- our last connection to the wild
And here are the slides — you’ll definitely want to follow along, I used a lot of pictures. Enjoy, and let me know what you think in the comments.